Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Saving Money Without Using Coupons!


Saving Without Using Coupons!

Yes, you really can save money without using coupons! Don’t get me wrong, coupons do help you save BIG time at the store BUT I know many of you just don’t have time to clip and keep them organized! Here are a few ways you can save without using coupons.

Make a List-Don’t just go to the store to pick up the things you think you need, make a list and stick to it! The grocery store does a great job of making people want to impulse buy. If you know what you are there for and stick with the list you brought you will save money and time, and I know for a lot of you time is money!

Use Cash-I have said this before but I am a firm believer in using cash for purchases. If you only have $60 dollars with you to spend on groceries you will more than likely only buy the things you really need.

Study your Store Ad-Just by knowing what is on sale at the store each week and writing your grocery list around that will help you save money. I was at Kroger last week and half gallons of milk were $1 and gallons where 2.89! I stood there and watched three people grab gallon containers of milk, right there they could have saved .89 just by getting 2 half gallons. I know .89 doesn’t sound like much but it adds up! Another example, Tyson chicken may be on sale for 1.99lb and the store brand may be 2.99lb, most people would grab the store brand assuming it is cheaper but not always!

If You Find a Good Deal Stock Up!- Just because something is on sale doesn’t mean it is a good deal. But generally if something is 50% or more off and it is an item you use regularly, buy several (as your budget allows!). The goal is to have enough to last you until the next sale rolls around. Typically sales rotate around every 6 weeks or so. For example if I find chicken for less than 1.79lb I will buy several packs and then wait for the next sale.

Look for Markdowns-Stores normally have a section where they keep markdown or quick sale items. Know where that spot is and check it every time you shop. This is how I have scored some great deals on meat.

No comments: